Save A Fur Baby!

Friday, July 15, 2011

Broken But Not Dead by Joylene Nowell Butler


Title: Broken But Not Dead
Author: Joylene Nowell Butler
Release Date: June 27, 2011
Publisher: Theytus Books
Genre: Suspense/Thriller

Blurb: Brendell Kisêpîsim Meshango is of Métis heritage and a PhD university professor in Prince George, British Columbia. When Brendell resigns from the university and retreats to her isolated cabin to repair her psyche, a masked intruder confronts her. His racial comments lead her to believe she is the solitary victim of a hate crime. However, is all as it appears? After two bizarre days inflicting a sadistic captivity, the intruder mysteriously disappears.

Taught by her mother to fear and distrust the mainstream-based power structures, and with her stalker possibly linked to a high level of government, Brendell conceals the incident from the police. But will keeping quiet keep her safe?

Then her beloved daughter, Zoë, is threatened — and Brendell takes matters into her own hands. To save Zoë, Brendell searches for the stalker and confronts not just a depraved madman but her own fears and prejudices.

Welcome to Sizzling Releases, Joylene. I’m so pleased you could join me today. What is your Sizzling Release?
Hi Rie, my sizzling release is Broken But Not Dead.

What is Broken But Not Dead all about? 
Métis English professor races to save her daughter from the deranged son of a powerful politician bent on being Canada’s Prime Minister.

That sounds intriguing. How did you come up with the idea?
As a menopausal and annoyed-with-life-in-general woman, it occurred to me that there weren’t enough stories about women my age. Then one day a question popped into my head. Could a good person be pushed to kill to protect a loved one?

I love that! Now, as a multi-published author, what advice do you have for those just beginning a career as a writer?
The usual: Write, read, study, analyze, learn how to critique, because if you do it well, it’ll rub off on your own writing. And learn to be stubborn. You get rejected, turn it around to your benefit, learn your craft, which means grammar, structure, POV, and promotion. Above all, keep writing.

Tell the readers about your backlist.
My first novel Dead Witness is the story of Valerie McCormick, a Canadian mother who, while visiting Seattle, witnesses the execution of two FBI Agents. Whisked away from her family and all that is familiar to her, Valerie fights back against the well-intentioned FBI to ultimately take control over her life with every ounce of fury a mother can possess.

What are you working on now?
I’m finishing up the sequel to Broken But Not Dead, titled Omatiwak: Woman Who Cries. After that I’m finishing a WIP progress about a man searching for the reason his wife was randomly run down. I’m not sure if I should title it Dead Wrong or simply Wrong.

If I can have a vote, I like "Dead Wrong"! Is there something in particular that sparks you to write something new? 
It generally begins with a question. In Dead Witness I wondered what would happen if a PI would accept that his sister was dead if he couldn’t identify the remains. Would he accept the news, or investigate fully?  In Broken But Not Dead I wondered if non-violent Brendell could be pushed to kill to save her daughter. In Kiss of the Assassin I wondered what would happen to a five-year-old child who witnessed the murder/suicide of her parents and was then trained as an assassin.

What does your family and friends think about you being a published author? 
They’re a little in awe until I open my mouth and say something corny like “Hey, what’s up dude?”

July is all about celebration. How does your family celebrate the 4th of July?
Here in Canada we celebrate Canada Day on July 1st. Lots of fun things to do. Generally, we have the family out to our home on the lake, and we fish all day long. Or at least until noon. Then the older kids water ski.

Sounds a lot like our American holiday. I'm always amazed at how much the same we are, no matter where we live. Now, the important question: Hotdogs or hamburgers?
Both. We have an open pit down by the water and it’s hotdogs, hamburgers, and baked potatoes.

Watching community fireworks shows or having them at home? 
There are a few families across the lake that seems to compete to see who has the most fireworks. It’s pretty spectacular.

Thank you so much for being here. Is there anything else you’d like the readers to know?
Thank you, Rie. It was fun. I just want to thank your readers for reading. If it weren't for that, I would be out of business. And I can’t imagine doing anything else. Thank you!

You've been a wonderful guest, please come back anytime. And before we go, can we get a juicy excerpt from Broken But Not Dead?
Absolutely!

EXCERPT:
With his free hand, he smoothed the hair off my cheek. Then he grasped my chin so I couldn’t turn my head. He shifted, slipping his hand out from behind his back and resting it on the bed beside my head. I felt something hard and cold touch my cheek. It moved along my throat… touching my chin… my lower lip. I smelled… oiled metal. He tucked his thumb in my mouth and forced my lips apart. Oh dear God! He pressed the barrel of the gun against my teeth… between my teeth. I tasted cold steel.

I tried not to gag. I hoped someone other than Zoë found me.

He withdrew the gun and let go of my chin. The stool squeaked, and he walked to the kitchen window, his arms folded across his chest.

I cried without sound.

He grabbed something from the counter and returned to the side of my bed.

I stiffened, expecting the excruciating pressure. But this time I felt a prick on the tender area of my neck while my mind registered the word syringe.

“I’ll be watching. Listening. I know everything. All the time wondering, should I hurt Zoë? Make her pay for your crimes?”

ANOTHER BOOK BY JOYLENE NOWELL BUTLER:

 Valerie McCormick is a wife and mother from small town Canada. While visiting Seattle, she becomes the only witness to the brutal seaside murder of two FBI agents. When she flees to the nearest police station to report the crime, she becomes caught up in a web of international intrigue and danger.  Suddenly, she and her family are in the sights of ruthless criminals bent on preventing her from testifying against the murderer. Even with FBI protection, Valerie is not safe. Whisked away from her family and all that is familiar to her, Valerie fights back against the well intentioned FBI to ultimately take control over her life with every ounce of fury a mother can possess.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Marie. I appreciate being your guest very much. Have the best of days.

    ReplyDelete